I was going to sit down and write a lengthy diatribe about how Huckabee is insane, and wants to turn this country into a theocracy the likes of which hasn’t been seen since, well, the Taliban, but then PZ goes and beats me to it. I wouldn’t use that NSFW language on my blog, but you can bet I’m thinking it.
“I have opponents in this race who do not want to change the Constitution,” Huckabee told a Michigan audience on Monday. “But I believe it’s a lot easier to change the Constitution than it would be to change the word of the living god. And that’s what we need to do — to amend the Constitution so it’s in God’s standards rather than try to change God’s standards so it lines up with some contemporary view.”
Actually, he’s not only demented, he’s wrong: the Bible has been rewritten countless times by small groups of men (that’s why there are different versions, Huck), but changing the Constitution requires a 2/3 majority in both the Senate and House, and then a 3/4 majority of state legislatures approving the proposed amendment. That’s a lot harder, which is why we have so few amendments.
Voting for Huckabee is essentially casting out your freedoms forever. Given everything — anything — he has said, I used to be amused thinking that anyone would take him at all seriously. Now I’m terrified too many people will.
Links to this Post
- Repulicans Presidential Election 2008 » Huckabee = very very very bad guy | January 15, 2008
- Pages tagged "amused" | January 16, 2008
- Mike Huckabee, Theocrat, In His Own Words « UDreamOfJanie | January 16, 2008
- CelticBear’s Musings » Blog Archive » Hucka-don’t-wanna-be credulous and non-critical. | January 16, 2008
- BrainWyrms › Huckabee : For the lose. | January 18, 2008