Chalk this one up to hard-to-believe: a substitute teacher in Florida lost his job in part because of a magic trick.
As reported by Channel 10 in Tampa, Jim Piculas did a magic trick where he makes a toothpick disappear and reappear. What happened next? The principal called him up to the office and told him he was being accused of — wait for it, wait for it — wizardry.
Yes, you read that correctly.
Now, to be fair, this looks like an excuse on the part of the principal or other Powers That Be to get rid of Piculas, whom they accuse of breaking other rules (accusations, Piculas claims, he never heard previously). But let’s be clear: they were still using wizardry (wizardry!) as an excuse to ditch the guy.
Teh stoopid! It hurts!
At first I was having a hard time thinking this story was true, but then realized it happened in Florida. I’m surprised they didn’t burn him.
And someone better tell Randi. They might have to nuke his whole house from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure.
Links to this Post
- CelticBear’s Musings » Blog Archive » The need for proper sex education! | May 6, 2008
- Teacher gets canned | a public defender | May 6, 2008
- Bring It On! » Blog Archive » Florida in the Middle Ages | May 10, 2008
- links for 2008-05-17 | Yostivanich.com | May 17, 2008
- Astroblurbs | Bad Astronomy | Discover Magazine | July 15, 2008