The world is filled with dumbosity, and it’s all we can do to fight it. But sometimes an idea is so ridiculous that you have to wonder if it’s a joke.
Yeah, I mean the Flat Earthers. Can people in the 21st century really think the Earth is a flat disk, and not a sphere? When I see their claims I have to wonder if it’s an elaborate hoax, their attempt to poke a hornet’s nest just to see how reality-based people react. The media will sometimes talk to these goofballs, and I’m glad to report it’s almost always tongue-in-cheek, which is probably more than they deserve.
The BBC News site recently covered this topic, and, well, you just have to read it. I pretty much lost it around this quotation:
“People are definitely prejudiced against flat-earthers,” says John Davis, a flat earth theorist based in Tennessee… “Many use the term ‘flat-earther’ as a term of abuse, and with connotations that imply blind faith, ignorance or even anti-intellectualism.”
Well, duh. Why do you think that is, Mr. Davis? It’s because you need blind faith, ignorance, and anti-intellectualism to think the Earth is flat.
I was thinking of writing up a definitive post debunking this silliness, but decided I have better things to do, like clipping my toenails. It’s like trying to disprove solipsism; why bother? I don’t see this as being a particularly infectious bit of antiscience (like, say, the Moon Hoax or the antivax movement), and it’s pretty limited in its scope. Maybe someday if I’m particularly bored — like say locked in a room with just water, bagels, and an internet-connected computer — I’ll write something up. It would be a fun mental exercise, but not terribly useful against the Flat Earthers. If someone showed them my page, they’d probably just deny the existence of the internet.
Links to this Post
- The Evil Eyebrow » Flat Earth | August 12, 2008
- Political Science Irregularly » Blog Archive » Politics, Religion, Science and Woo (PRSW) Combos | August 12, 2008
- Top 10 Ways to Know the Earth is Not Flat >> SmarterThanThat | August 19, 2008
- Truth or Madness Monday | Words For Hire | September 22, 2008
- Brad’s Reader » Blog Archive » Friday Link Love 8/15 | May 20, 2009
- Top 10 Ways to Know the Earth is Not Flat | SmarterThanThat | April 19, 2012