[Update: Welcome Slashdotters! Thanks for dropping by.]
The government of Illinois, an an obvious attempt to distract America from Blagojevich’s hair, has declared that Pluto is a planet.
RESOLVED, BY THE SENATE OF THE NINETY-SIXTH GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF ILLINOIS, that as Pluto passes overhead through Illinois’ night skies, that it be reestablished with full planetary status, and that March 13, 2009 be declared “Pluto Day” in the State of Illinois in honor of the date its discovery was announced in 1930.
Thank heavens — so to speak — Pluto doesn’t pass over any other states. That could propagate a Constitutional crisis.
So what would drive the government of a state to go out of its way to do such a ridiculous thing?
WHEREAS, Clyde Tombaugh, discoverer of the planet Pluto, was born on a farm near the Illinois community of Streator
Oh, right, misplaced local pride. They obviously didn’t planet that way. They should have nixed the whole idea.
But OK then, surely they wouldn’t say anything else that brazenly dumb in the resolution, right?
WHEREAS, Dr. Tombaugh is so far the only Illinoisan and only American to ever discover a planet; and
Their confusion is obvious; they thought they were doling out justice, but they got confused because Pluto is just ice.
That’s OK though, Illinois congresscritters. I’m sure there’s nothing else for you to do with all your spare time. But y’know, I hear those pesky Hoosiers next door want to make π equal to 3! Hurry! You can still beat them to it!
Tip o’ the dew shield to Larry Klaes.
Links to this Post
- randalflagg.net | March 5, 2009
- Pluto has been “promoted” to planet | March 6, 2009
- Astronomy - Page 2 - Fires of Heaven Guild Message Board | March 6, 2009
- In Other Words | March 6, 2009
- The great state of Illinois weighs in on the Pluto debate | March 6, 2009
- Make No Laws » Blog Archive » Science and Legislatures Do Not Mix | March 6, 2009
- Illinois plutocrats are frakkin’ goofy | Bad Astronomy | Discover Magazine | Patrick James Fontillas's Blog | March 6, 2009
- March 5, a Great day for US Legislature | Scriptionary Blog | March 6, 2009
- Illinois Senate “Reinstates” Pluto As A Planet | FortySouth | March 6, 2009
- Stoopid in Stereo « Bipedalia | March 6, 2009
- Illinois declares Pluto still a planet - Front Page News - NewsSpotz | March 6, 2009
- Pro Bono Geek » Fun with Resolutions | March 6, 2009
- Pluto is a planet again « Robert’s Haven | March 6, 2009
- Priorities « Nothing to see here. Move along. | March 6, 2009
- Staat Illinois verklaart Pluto weer tot planeetbijAstroblogs | March 6, 2009
- Spieler | The Best of the Web | March 6, 2009
- The government of Illinois has declared that Pluto is a planet again. - Discussion Forums US | March 6, 2009
- » With Nothing Else Going On, Goofy Illinois Reverts Pluto’s Status To A Planet Dvorak Uncensored: General interest observations and true web-log. | March 6, 2009
- Federalist Paupers » Blog Archive » We Are All Anti-Scientists Now, II | March 6, 2009
- Twitter Updates for 2009-03-06 : Arun’s Blog | March 6, 2009
- The Geology News Blog · Pluto is a Planet - If You’re From Illinois | March 6, 2009
- Pluto is a Planet — in Illinois! | Starts With A Bang! | March 6, 2009
- Illinois Declares Pluto a Planet | John Myles White: Die Sudelbücher | March 6, 2009
- links for 2009-03-07 | it's about time | March 7, 2009
- Illinois state governors are pissed and will not abide such an insult « The Brittle Hum of the Republic | March 7, 2009
- Illinois declares Pluto still a planet | Ramblings | March 7, 2009
- Pluto is back (sort of) - A Rambing Cubs Fan | March 7, 2009
- As if I wasn’t embarrassed enough to live in Illinois « Power to the Meeple | March 7, 2009
- Boycott Novell » IRC: #boycottnovell @ FreeNode: March 7th, 2009 - Part 2 | March 8, 2009
- Quick thoughts 3/8/2009 « My Corner To Vent | March 8, 2009
- Ohh Pluto, please don’t cry… « bla bla bla | March 8, 2009
- Illinois declares that Pluto is still a planet : SupaFeed | March 9, 2009
- doombot » Daily Doom 3/9/09 | March 9, 2009
- The Less Interesting Times » Blog Archive » פלוטו הוא כוכב לכת כל עוד הוא מעל אילינוי | March 9, 2009
- Planets Cards! « Alice’s Astro Info | March 15, 2009
- OK, now I know why Pluto is not a planet. - Page 3 - Bad Astronomy and Universe Today Forum | March 15, 2009
- Os plutocratas « Notas ao café… | March 19, 2009
- Planets Cards! | March 20, 2009
- EUSci - The Edinburgh University Science Magazine » Blog Archive » EUSci Podcast #6 - Astronomy Special | March 26, 2009
- SCIENCEPODCASTERS.ORG » EUSci: Edinburgh University Science Podcast #6 - Astronomy Special | March 26, 2009
- Pluto has been “promoted” to planet | May 9, 2009
- Brad’s Reader » Blog Archive » Friday Link Love 03/06 | May 18, 2009
- Illinois Legislature Declares Pluto Is A Planet Again | Disinformation | September 26, 2009
- Illinois » Blog Archive » Illinois: Pluto is a Planet – Tech Products & Geek News | Geek.com | May 14, 2011