I have seen this around the web, but I can’t find the original source. It’s written by Michael Haber, but a search hasn’t turned up much about him. It’s pretty funny!
Emboldened by their success in declaring Pluto not a planet, the International Astronomical Union determined this week by a close vote that February is too short to be considered a true month. It has, however, been granted the newly created status of “dwarf month.” It shares this dubious distinction with several other calendar time spans, including Labor Day Weekend, Christmas Vacation, and the Time Between When You Were Supposed to Get Your Oil Changed and When You Actually Did.
“It only seems fair,” said IAU President Ron Eckers. “February reaches a peak size of 29 days, averaging only 28 days for 75 percent of the time. Recent research has shown that other periods, such as the Time Between When You Were Supposed to Get Your Oil Changed and When You Actually Did, often exceed this meager time frame. In fact, this erratic behavior only strengthens our case that February does not belong in the same classification as the eleven ‘true’ months.”
Eckers also warned that the crop of 30-day “so-called” months should be careful to maintain their number of days. “They’re already cutting it pretty close in my book.”
I think that pretty much nails it on the head.
And hey, if you know of (or are) Michael Haber, pipe up in the comments. This was pretty good!
Tip o’ the dew shield to Steven Raine.
Links to this Post
- February for the Chop? at Asymptotia | March 7, 2009
- La Unión Astronómica Internacional decide que febrero ya no es un mes @ Sobre tecnologia | March 7, 2009
- Astronomen: Februar ist nicht länger ein Monat bei physikBlog | March 7, 2009
- More Mythic Observance « Simple Country Physicist | March 8, 2009
- More Mythic Observance - Vegas Escort Girl | March 8, 2009
- The Mosquito Eater » Dwarf Month | March 9, 2009
- Sean’s Mental Walkabout » Blog Archive » Links for March 9th | March 9, 2009
- Eight Random Reasons To Follow Phil Plait « Rodibidably | March 24, 2009
- Jokes - Page 37 - India Travel Forum, BCMTouring.com | July 17, 2009