It’s dead obvious that creationism isn’t science, or even bad science. It’s nonsense. But I’ve long stated it’s also bad religion, because it doesn’t just take faith, it also takes a phenomenal disregard of reality. Moderate Christians should distance themselves from such garbage, as it is a clear distortion of the Bible. The creation story in Genesis has two self-contradicting versions!
That’s why this video pleased me. It’s from a moderate man, a religious one, but one who sees what folly young-Earth creationism is. I recommend watching it. He even points out he disagrees with atheists on things, but in this case he knows creationism is a crock. And with what’s going on Texas right now, what he says is more important than ever.
I receive email and comments on my blog from religious people saying I hate Christians. I find that funny, and ironic, given what Jesus said on the Sermon on the Mount contrasted with the commentor’s obvious attitude toward me. Still, that claim is ridiculous. I don’t hate Christians, nor do I ever say that people cannot believe whatever they want. You can believe what you want, including the grossly ridiculous idea that the Earth is 6000 years old. That’s your right.
But that right stops when you try to make laws based on your belief, and when you try to tell an entire country how your religion should be the only thing taught in science class, and when your belief system affects people’s health, welfare, and well-being. Creationism and fundamentalism do just that.
I will not sway from my stance that I will not allow laws in this country to be based on a narrow sect’s belief system, whether it aligns with reality or not (and in the case of creationists, it’s way way not). I will continue to be vocal, I will continue to fight, and I will do what I can to make sure this country stays free.
Links to this Post
- Conspirama | March 27, 2009
- Florida: jumping off the cliff of reality with Texas | Bad Astronomy | Discover Magazine | March 27, 2009
- Oldest living creature is 4,265/weekend shows « steve cross loves music and science | March 27, 2009
- Second Sight | March 27, 2009
- Creationism is Bad Religion | Reality Hackers Net | March 27, 2009
- MY LIFE » Blog Archive » Creationists’ Damage to Christianity | March 28, 2009
- Dear Canonist » Blog Archive » Lip Service | March 28, 2009
- Creationism is bad religion « Skepfeeds-The Best Skeptical blogs of the day | March 29, 2009
- We’ve Only Just Begun… at Radical Atheist | April 15, 2009
- Why Do People Lose Their Religion | Tangled Up in Blue Guy | April 27, 2009
- The Gospels or Good News? « My agnostic views & images I like | August 3, 2009
- Thank God: Religion May Be Going Extinct in Some Countries | The Icarian | March 22, 2011
- An atheist whose attitude on religion I appreciate | Galactic Interactions | June 27, 2012