JPL has observations that confirm that Jupiter got whacked hard by an impact.
The image was taken by the Infrared Telescope Facility in Hawaii. This IR image is at 1.65 microns, about twice the wavelength of what the human eye can see. What this shows is the bright impact site and to its upper left particulate matter — debris — thrown up by the impact and lit by the Sun.
So. Wow. Jupiter got hit by something big. More observations will be coming in soon, and maybe we’ll learn more about what happened.
And just to be clear; I was cautious in my earlier post, which I still think was warranted, but I’m glad to be wrong. This is much cooler than a big storm!
Links to this Post
- Padabautz! Einschlag auf Jupiter bei physikBlog | July 21, 2009
- Jupiter » Current News Trends | July 21, 2009
- Jay Lake: [links] Link salad goes for a walk | July 21, 2009
- links for 2009-07-21 | Yostivanich.com | July 21, 2009
- I am a STARFLEET Marine » Blog Archive » Jupiter Impact | July 21, 2009
- Anthony R. Miller » Blog Archive » Jupiter Impact | July 21, 2009
- Into the Stacks » Jupiter Impact | July 21, 2009
- Joey’s Crappy Day » Blog Archive » The end is nigh | July 21, 2009