[UPDATE 2: I just heard that space guy James Oberg will be on the last segment of Rachel Madddow's show on MSNBC tonight to talk about this!]
[UPDATE 1: See bottom of post; I knew it!]
Earlier in the morning today (around 8:00 a.m. local time) this weird thing was seen over the skies of Norway:
My first reaction when I saw that was, "What the FRAK is THAT?!" My second thought was, "Photoshop". But then I saw lots of pictures of this on a bunch of different Norwegian media, so I don’t think it’s a digital hoax. Then videos started surfacing, like this one, which clearly show the spiral spinning. It’s not just a static picture, whatever this thing was; it was really in the sky.
However, after a moment, I realized this must be a rocket, most likely spiraling out of control. I don’t understand all the details — I don’t have all the info yet — but a rocket fits what we’re seeing here. First, this was seen all over Norway, so it must have been at a high altitude to be so visible. Second, the blue spiral angling down to the right is clearly due to perspective. A rocket spiraling around, and coming up from the lower right, would appear to make tight spirals when it was far away and bigger ones as it got closer.
Third, you can actually see the bright white spiral spinning in the videos. That threw me for a second, to be honest, but after a moment I figured that it makes sense if the rocket is headed more or less straight toward the camera. Whatever it is being lit up (exhaust, or a leaking payload?) would appear to expand in a spiral like water from a spinning sprinklerhead. The spiral itself is not spinning any more than water from the sprinkler is; that’s an illusion of motion.
Fourth, after a few moments, a black disk appears to expand in the center of the white spiral, as seen in this picture (it’s a little fuzzy; you can see the person taking it must have used a long exposure because foreground lights are jittery, but you get the idea). That’s exactly what I would expect if whatever is being ejected by the rocket ran out; the arms of the spiral would expand away from the center, leaving black emptiness in the middle.
So that’s my hypothesis. A rocket got out of control, perhaps losing a stabilizer, and started to spiral. The two spirals, different in shape, size, and color, indicate something happened in the middle of all this (the rocket second stage fired while still spinning, or something else started leaking out), changing the rocket’s direction. Then, when the fuel or whatever ran out, the white spiral began to disappear from the inside out as the material expanded in space.
So who launched it? The Russians are a likely guess, but –shocker — they’re denying it. I’d love to know and find out what the details are, but whoever shot it up and whatever the purpose, I’m pretty sure what we’re seeing here is a rocket launch that didn’t go exactly according to plan.
Note: there are a lot of stories online about this with more very cool pictures: The Sun and The Daily Mail have it in English, while Norwegian media include VG Nett, Altaposten.no, NRK.no, Framtidinord.no, Nordlis.no, and amazing videos can be seen here and here.
Photos: Jan Petter Jørgensen and Morten Kristiansen. Tip o’ the payload bay to the many folks who alerted me to this story!
Links to this Post
- Misteriosa luz azul espiral en el cielo de Noruega deja a científicos perplejos | Pijamasurf | December 9, 2009
- Gweedopig.com :: Strange and Unusual :: Strange Spiral Phenomenon Seen Hovering Over Norway // stories, news, and information from around the globe. | December 9, 2009
- Weird Image in the Norwegian Sky — Could It Be Spiral Marketing? @ Technology News | December 9, 2009
- Weird Image in the Norwegian Sky — Could It Be Spiral Marketing? « Coolbeans | December 9, 2009
- Gigantic Spiral of Light Observed Over Norway; Rocket To Blame? | JetLib News | December 9, 2009
- Uma Espiral Azul nos céus da Noruega: Stargate? | CeticismoAberto | December 9, 2009
- Spinning light mystery solved already! | Good, Bad, and Bogus | December 9, 2009
- Giant Mysterious Spiral Takes Over The Skies Of Norway » The News Tracker | December 9, 2009
- The X-Files for real? - Clunk's Forums. | December 9, 2009
- CFS Loves 45 | Code For Something | December 9, 2009
- “UFO’s For real” LIGHT SHOW SPARKS UFO BUZZ - RamrodsWorld News Local News Science Strange News Breaking News | December 9, 2009
- horsegoeswest » Blog Archive » Amazing lights over Norway | December 9, 2009
- Tales from the Tubes — 10/12/09 | Young Australian Skeptics | December 9, 2009
- Wednesday Night! « Gerry Canavan | December 9, 2009
- Space Aliens Preparing A Welcome For Obama Or An Errant Russian Missile Test? « Eat It Or Wear It | December 9, 2009
- News From Around The Blogosphere 12.9.09 « Skepacabra | December 9, 2009
- Spiralling sky light baffles experts - TeakDoor.com - The Thailand Forum | December 10, 2009
- Norjan valoilmiö oli epäonnistunut ohjuskoe | Paranormaali | December 10, 2009
- Okee: raar « Drabkikker | December 10, 2009
- BaSH PR0MPT | December 10, 2009
- Norway spiral: Space aliens welcoming Obama? | csmonitor.com | December 10, 2009
- Bizarre Lights In The Sky Over Norway « The View From Out Here | December 10, 2009
- Close Encounters Of The Russian Kind « Around The Sphere | December 10, 2009
- Se | December 10, 2009
- Russia’s Flawed Intercontinental Missile Test Lights Up Norway’s Sky | JetLib News | December 10, 2009
- Torchwood Norway: Å Forsvaring Jorden! « Blogging with Badger | December 10, 2009
- Ok, who made the worm hole? - Have Satellite Truck, Will Travel. | December 10, 2009
- A great example of a model [Dot Physics] | Electricity Directory Store | December 11, 2009
- Norway UFO Chronology: A Mysterious Event in Skies « Streams of consciousness | December 13, 2009
- Luzes e vários círculos no céu da Noruega « Destruidor de Dogmas | December 13, 2009
- Norway spiral: Space aliens welcoming Obama? « The Canadian National Newspaper Exopolitics Headlines | December 14, 2009
- Spinning Spiral Formation in Norwegian Sky Possibly Caused By Russian Rocket - TheNewTopical.com | December 16, 2009
- Norwegian spiral not Russian missile - Bad Astronomy and Universe Today Forum | December 17, 2009
- Mystery as spiral blue light display hovers above Norway. - Page 2 | December 17, 2009
- Information Riesen-Ufo | December 20, 2009
- Espirales sobre Noruega « Spin Foam | December 23, 2009
- Looks beautiful… Probably a fairly ordinary explanation… » Things I am interested in… | January 11, 2010
- Do I Believe in UFOs? Of Course! « A Quantum of Knowledge | June 16, 2010
- Awesome death spiral of a bizarre star | Bad Astronomy | FEEDER | September 7, 2010
- NFL Week 14 » Evil Wordsmith | March 21, 2012