That is a model of the USS Enterprise-D from Star Trek: The Next Generation, created using an ion beam that guides vaporized chemicals and deposits them into a given shape. The amazing thing is that this model of the
Big Little-E is only 8.8 microns (millionths of a meter) long! For comparison, a human hair is about 50-100 microns across. This image is magnified 5000 times.
I wonder if it comes with a tiny Wil Wheaton, too?
Tip o’ the VISOR to Digg.
Links to this Post
- Best in Show at Asymptotia | March 15, 2010
- Winzige Enterprise | The Cynxpire | March 16, 2010
- Ion-Beam Me Up, Scotty! Enterprise Model Made in Ion Micrograph | Best Television Shows | March 19, 2010
- It FEEEDS. It GROOOOWS. « Unspeakable Evil | March 20, 2010
- GoodGeek: Himeji Institute of Technology « Geek Wednesday | May 12, 2010