Thierry Legault is a gift to astronomy bloggers. He just sent me this:
The big yellow thing is the Sun. But look at the upper right section. See those two dark blips? The one on the left is the Shuttle Orbiter Atlantis and on the right is the International Space Station! Incredibly, Thierry caught them as they passed directly in front of the Sun! To give you an idea of how talented Thierry is, the entire transit lasted just over half a second.
Click to embiggen. I mean it, click it. The full-scale image is drop-dead incredible. Mind you, Atlantis had just started its pitch maneuver, designed to show its belly to the crew on the ISS so they can inspect it for heat tile damage. That means this image was taken shortly before the Orbiter docked with the station, on May 16th. Thierry was in Madrid specifically to get this shot.
Un frakkin’ believable.
Get a good look. This is the last mission of Atlantis (unless it’s needed as a rescue mission later this year), so we won’t get too many more views like this.
Image used with permission by Thierry Legault.
Links to this Post
- La Estación Espacial Internacional y el Atlantis transitando por el Sol | May 18, 2010
- STS132 @ T+4 « Where the Sun hits the sky | May 18, 2010
- La Estación Espacial Internacional y el Atlantis transitando por el Sol | Noticias HMX | May 19, 2010
- sobre tecnologia » Blog Archive » Atlantis y la Estación Espacial Internacional frente al Sol | May 19, 2010
- joneame.net | May 19, 2010
- Final shuttle ISS departure silhouette | Tenniswood Blog | May 19, 2010
- La Estación Espacial Internacional y el Atlantis transitando por el Sol | Ultimas noticias en ForoProvincias.Com | May 19, 2010
- Solar Crossing « Lights in the Dark | May 19, 2010
- Pablo José Rodríguez Villarrubia » Blog Archive » ISS y Atlantis cruzando el Sol | May 19, 2010
- Living in a Science Fiction World | The Crotchety Old Fan | May 19, 2010
- The Most Amazing Shuttle Pic Yet - Tree of Souls - An Avatar Community Forum | May 21, 2010
- La Estación y el Transbordador transitan el Sol | Imagen astronomía diaria - Observatorio | May 23, 2010
- Station and Shuttle Transit the Sun | Comet Enthusiast | May 23, 2010
- jotblog - Subjektivitaeten... | May 26, 2010
- In the news … « Science @ UWS Library | August 14, 2010
- Lifu © | January 6, 2011
- Holy Moly Just Incredible ISS, Shuttle transit the Sun! | Bad Astronomy | Discover Magazine « Adelaide Blue Haggis Bistro | August 17, 2011