I am very sad to write that Martin Gardner, a skeptical giant and genius by any standard, died today in
Tulsa Norman, Oklahoma.
Wikipedia has a list of his remarkable achievements. He was a lifelong friend of James Randi, who has written a brief statement at the JREF page. I’ve heard Randi tell many a tale about him. His love for Martin was worn on his sleeve.
I never met Martin, but he influenced my life anyway. I don’t know exactly how old I was, but I think I was in sixth grade when I found a copy of one of his many books filled with brain teasers and math puzzles. I’ve always loved puzzles, but Martin’s books showed me how to think around some problems, how to take that needed step to the side to see the solution lying beyond… and more importantly, trained me how to find the path to that solution.
Very few people wake up one day seeing the world rationally; it’s a series of steps that takes you there. Eventually you look around and realize it, and when you look behind you you see the footsteps that brought you to that place. Off in the distance, well behind me, but at a critical point in my life, I can see where Martin gave me a nudge. It was a small push, to be sure, just a gentle poke, but with time it acquired vast leverage.
The skeptic community mourns the loss of one of our giants, but we know we’re all better off for the time we had him here.
Picture credit: Wikipedia and Konrad Jacobs, used under a Creative Commons license.
Links to this Post
- I Feel Like S**t Right Now… « The Call of Troythulu | May 22, 2010
- Godspeed- Martin Gardner « Freak Creek Reader | May 22, 2010
- Martin Gardner (1914 – 2010) « a simple prop | May 22, 2010
- Fantasia Mathematica « SCIENCE-BASED PARENTING | May 22, 2010
- » Martin Gardner, “Mathematical Games” columnist, dies :: Granite Geek :: NashuaTelegraph.com | May 23, 2010
- Darwiniana » Martin Gardner and idiot skepticism | May 23, 2010
- Martin Gardner (1914-2010) « Apuntes Matemáticos | May 23, 2010
- Milestones by Purple Pawn | May 23, 2010
- Martin Gardner and Hinton’s Cubes « Ars Mathematica | May 24, 2010
- RIP Martin Gardner (1914-2010) « Spin, strangeness, and charm | May 24, 2010
- Martin Gardner, 1914 – 2010 | Bad Astronomy | Discover Magazine - http | May 24, 2010
- Martin Gardner (1914-2010), EPD « Pepquímic | May 24, 2010
- Martin Gardner, 1914 – 2010 | May 29, 2010
- मनोरंजात्मक गणित के जनक – मार्टिन गार्डनर को सलाम « www.blogprahari.com | July 23, 2010
- Summer « A kind of library | August 27, 2010