The magnitude 8.9 earthquake that hit Japan last night has done a vast amount of damage. I’m seeing lots of information scattered around the web, and figured a post listing them might help.
First, if you need info about the quake, CNET has a long list of links for finding lost loved ones, information on the quake in general, and more.
Second, our own Discover Magazine has an excellent article with the science behind what happened. The article notes that science and engineering prevented this disaster from being a lot worse.
There are many charitable, non-profit organizations that may or will be providing aid and relief. I asked on Twitter which ones people liked, and here are a few. I do not necessarily endorse these groups, but provide this for your information.
- The Red Cross has info, and also a page where you can contribute directly to quake relief
- Médecins Sans Frontières (Doctors Without Borders)
- Red Cross through WePay
- Global Giving
Before you donate, please watch this video of the tsunami crashing through Japan:
Yes, those are buildings on fire as they are being swept along with the water. That is one of the most terrifying, horrifying things I have ever seen.
Discovery News has more video of the tsunami and damage from the quake.
My co-blogger at Discover Magazine, Sean Carroll, has some info and thoughts on this as well.
Here is a false-color map of the tsunami height which will give you an idea of the far-reaching nature of this event.
I will try to add more links to this as more information becomes available.
Links to this Post
- IRS Reminds Taxpayers How To Provide Earthquake Relief For Japan « Stacie's More Tax Tips | March 11, 2011
- Japan earthquake info | Bad Astronomy | Discover Magazine | Japan EarthQuake | March 11, 2011
- "Japan Earthquake 2011: 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits, 13-Foot Tsunami Triggered" and related posts | ItsStillAmerica.com | March 12, 2011
- Homeopathy Plus and Japan (Yes, You Guessed Correctly) « The Merseyside Skeptics Society | March 12, 2011
- Blog de Astronomia do astroPT » Terramoto provocado pela super-Lua? | March 14, 2011
- Hold on Japan | The Large Idea Collider | March 14, 2011
- The Jamhole Free Comedy Podcast from Kalispell Montana | Ep 470: The Dirtball The Jamhole | March 17, 2011