Randy Halverson is a photographer who makes incredibly stunning time lapse videos of the sky. And he’s done it again: "Tempest Milky Way", an aptly-named video showing the serene depths of the night sky as a background for furious activity much closer to home:
[Make sure it’s set to HD, and make it full screen. You’re welcome.]
Holy wow! It’s beautiful enough just showing the stars, but then at 2:20 things really get interesting as storms blow in. There’s lots to see, but keep your eyes open at 1:57 for the silhouette of a whitetail deer on the horizon, and at 3:24 for a meteor that pops into view… and is reflected in the lake!
It’s a breath-taking shot, isn’t it? And it’s a testament to Halverson’s talent, which you can see more of at his website DakotaLapse. I love how the motion of the camera (especially moving up through the corn field) adds a magical sensation to the video. And while time lapse photography like this shows us a dimension we can’t see easily with our own eyes, it’s real nonetheless. Never forget that: the Universe is beautiful, spectacular, and marvelous. Our job is to appreciate it, and try to understand it better.
Credit: Randy Halverson, used by permission.
Links to this Post
- Au-dessus de l’orage, la voie lactée… | Parmi les étoiles | August 24, 2011
- Early Bird Special - The Daily What | August 24, 2011
- Tempest Milky Way: A stunning time-lapse video | Pakistan News, Political Talk Shows, Live Video News, TV Channels, Current Affairs, Recorded Talk Shows, Sports, Pakistan Youth, Online Movies, Videos & Articles | August 26, 2011
- Weekend Links: The Triumph and Tragedy of Lisa Frank - Cine Sopaipleto » Cine Sopaipleto | August 27, 2011
- Weekend Links: The Triumph and Tragedy of Lisa Frank - Sopaipleto » Sopaipleto | August 27, 2011
- Cool Tool: The Intervalometer | Wilhelm Photography Blog | September 13, 2011
- Gunsling Birds | The Milky Way from the top of the world | Bad Astronomy | September 21, 2011
- Quand les antennes du VLA dansent… | Parmi les étoiles | December 7, 2011