If you’ve ever wondered what it must feel like to fly around the Earth at 28,000 kilometers per hour, then wonder no more.
[Make sure you set it to the highest resolution, then make it full screen. You're welcome.]
I saw this on Universe Today, where you can get details, as well as in the YouTube link above. Created by James Drake, it’s a compilation of 600 publicly available images, strung together to make an incredible time lapse animation. The actual motion of the International Space Station would appear much slower than this, but still. The clarity, color, dynamism, and sheer jaw-dropping wonder of this is spectacular to behold.
A lot of people on Twitter were asking about the brown-green arc above the Earth. That’s an aerosol haze, a glow caused by particles suspended high above the planet’s surface. It’s an extremely thin layer, so it’s best seen edge-on, for the same reason some very thin shells in space are bright only around the edges. From the ground it’s too faint to see this clearly, and from space it’s only visible on the night side of Earth.
This is truly magnificent. And the ending is, I hope, a metaphor for the future of human exploration of space. Things may seem dark now, but I am still hopeful that a new day will dawn on our efforts to reach out into the Universe around us.
Links to this Post
- Best view of Earth ever | Meng Bomin | September 18, 2011
- The Earth Beneath Us, Getting Smaller | Rearranging Prejudices | September 18, 2011
- Time Lapse Video From the Space Station | Science Picks | September 18, 2011
- World’s Strangest | Flying Over Earth | September 18, 2011
- Morning Cup of Links: Talk Like a Pirate Day - Cine Sopaipleto » Cine Sopaipleto | September 19, 2011
- Morning Cup of Links: Talk Like a Pirate Day - Sopaipleto » Sopaipleto | September 19, 2011
- One Minute Orbit - Airline Pilot Central Forums | September 19, 2011
- Time-Lapse ISS Video of Earth Lets You Orbit in HD | September 19, 2011
- Time-Lapse ISS Video of Earth Lets You Orbit in HD « Set You Free News | September 19, 2011
- A Taste Of What It Feels Like To Fly Over Planet Earth | CROMEYELLOW.COM | September 19, 2011
- Time-Lapse ISS Video of Earth Lets You Orbit in HD By Rebecca Boyle « New Age | September 20, 2011
- The Earth From Space | September 21, 2011
- Volando por encima de la Tierra | Imagen astronomía diaria - Observatorio | September 26, 2011
- Flying over Planet Earth « Charnel Musings | September 27, 2011
- Flying over the Earth in the International Space Station (Video) | Go To The News | September 27, 2011
- Bob’s Junkmail, #220 « xpda | October 2, 2011
- Time-Lapse ISS Video of Earth Lets You Orbit in HD « Science Technology Informer | December 13, 2011