Here in Boulder we get magnificent sunsets, especially in the summer when the clouds interplay with the mountains to the west. But I have never seen anything like this: the shadow of Washington state’s Mt. Rainier cast along the clouds at sunrise:
Holy (yes, in this case appropriately) Haleakala! [Click to cascadenate.]
That’s amazing. Mt. Rainier is a volcano, climbing to a height of over 14,000 feet (4300 meters). There are no other mountains anywhere near that height nearby, so it’s really prominent in the landscape (by comparison, there are several fourteeners, as they’re called, in the Rockies, so they don’t stick out as much though they’re still breathtaking). The rising Sun catches the peak, and the shadow is cast on the underside of the cloud layer. The dramatic sunrise colors really make this an incredibly beautiful shot.
The KOMO news site has lots more pictures of this, too. Go take a look!
And remember, when you’re outside, it always pays to look around you for a moment. You never know what incredible vista nature may have in store for you.
Tip o’ the snow cap (har har) to John Baxter.
Links to this Post
- A Deep Breath at the End of the Day « | October 26, 2011
- Mountain’s Shadow of the Day - TDW Geeks | October 26, 2011
- The shadow of Mt, Rainier cast in the sky - 22 Words | October 27, 2011
- The shadow of Mt, Rainier cast in the sky | Funri | October 27, 2011
- The shadow of Mt. Rainier cast in the sky | Funri | October 27, 2011
- Mountain Casts Huge Shadow on Underside Layer of Clouds | My Blog | October 27, 2011
- You Won’t Believe What’s Going On In This Photo | Search The Earth Blog | October 28, 2011
- Volcano Casting a Giant Shadow Across Clouds at Sunrise | October 28, 2011
- Friday Finds – War Machine and The Hobbit | Honk if you love justice! | October 28, 2011
- World’s Strangest | Cloud Shadow of Mt. Rainier | October 28, 2011
- Volcano Casts a Giant Shadow Across Clouds at Sunrise | My Blog | October 28, 2011
- Unable to perform Translation:Quota Exceeded. Please see http://code.google.com/apis/language/translate/overview.html | PCTV | October 28, 2011
- Actualidad en Astronomía: Semana 24-10-2011 « Campos de Estrellas | October 30, 2011
- Sky Shadows: Mt. Rainier At Sunrise Casting Its Shadow ON THE CLOUDS ABOVE | October 31, 2011