Friday Random Ten: iPod Tells the Future of String Theory?

By cjohnson | July 22, 2005 6:32 am

I’d like to continue the tradition started by Sean of using the ipod as a divination device.

In view of the varying opinion about the state of string theory, regarded by some (I’ve heard) as the last, best hope for fundamental physics (going to get myself into trouble here), discussed wonderfully, passionately, and I hope continually on this very blog (e.g. here and here), it might be worth sitting back, letting the pod do its thing, and tell us the future.

I’m new to this, so please bear with me. I ask the ipod oracle to tell us the future of string theory, then I turn on the pod, set it to shuffle songs, and see what the first ten are. I then put them alongside the Tarot-like categories and interpret using the key given here. Well, I get:

1. The Covering: iTrip_98-1
2. The Crossing: iTrip_92-3
3. The Crown: iTrip_104-9
4. The Root: iTrip_94-7
5. The Past: iTrip_90-3
6. The Future: iTrip_93-5
7. The Questioner: iTrip_98-9
8. The House: iTrip_96-7
9. The Inside: iTrip_105-1
10. The Outcome: iTrip_102-1

And they all seem to be by “Griffin Technology”, from the album “iTrip”.

Bugger. Said I was new to this.

Um…help!

-cvj 😉

P.S. Ok. So I was in my “iTrip” in-car broadcast stations playlist, not “All”. Well, hey, maybe we should run with this anyway. There’s a lot of important numerology in string theory (number of dimensions of spacetime, light families of subatomic particles, etc). Maybe the ol’ pod knows something about that. Perhaps they’re Hodge numbers (i.e. topological data) telling us the correct manifold on which to compactify to get our four dimensional world with all the observed physics. Any experts care to take a stab at interpreting? Perhaps they are years in which key papers were written that can help, or key Strings conferences. Perhaps they are part of www.arxiv.org/hep-th/yymmnnn paper numbers and if we could work out the code we’d know which vital papers to read? The pod could be on to something here.

ADVERTISEMENT
  • WL

    “..Perhaps they are part of http://www.arxiv.org/hep-th/yymmnnn paper numbers and if we could work out the code we’d know which vital papers to read? The pod could be on to something here… ”

    Yeah indeed, look what I found out: yymmnnn=6105823. I just wonder what that paper will be about….

  • http://www.joh3n.com Joh3n

    Odd. Looking at my iPod, I’m currently using 67% of the disk capacity. This implies that the remaining 33% is unused, or “dark”. Could it be that my iPod is telling me that we have the cosmological parameters all wrong? Big Bang Nucleosynthesis, WMAP, and SDSS be damned, ALL HAIL IPOD!

  • http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/cosmicvariance/clifford/ Clifford

    Yes, imagine what wonderful sounds or podcasts might be lurking in there. And surely you mean “silent” not “dark”? :-) -cvj

  • Pingback: Friday Random Ten: Future of String Theory Part II | Cosmic Variance()

  • Pingback: More Refined Divining Tool Launched | Cosmic Variance()

NEW ON DISCOVER
OPEN
CITIZEN SCIENCE
ADVERTISEMENT

Discover's Newsletter

Sign up to get the latest science news delivered weekly right to your inbox!

Cosmic Variance

Random samplings from a universe of ideas.
ADVERTISEMENT

See More

ADVERTISEMENT
Collapse bottom bar
+