Neil Armstrong

By Sean Carroll | August 25, 2012 1:38 pm

Has died at age 82. Perhaps to honor his memory we can resolve as a society to continue to do inspiring things.

CATEGORIZED UNDER: Humanity
  • http://www.flisser.com Bob F.

    Armstrong was one of America’s greatest heroes ever, and was a hero for the rest of humanity, as well. We will all miss him very much.

  • DerekH

    A man who used his skill, knowledge and experience to help make a success of a mission that also depended on the skill, knowledge and experience of thousands of others – and then, instead of basking in the glory, he quietly went back to work. In the celebrity-obsessed 21st century, almost unbelievable.

    Goodbye, Neil, and thank you.

  • Neil Fox

    Here is an online memorial to Neil Armstrong – please feel free to light a virtual candle or send
    virtual flowers – http://www.memorialmatters.com/memorials.php?page=NeilArmstrong

  • Ignatius

    One of the rarest of earthlings, of Americans, is gone. Godspeed. You have slipped the surly bonds of earth forevermore.

  • Pingback: Neil Armstrong, 1930 – 2012 « Series divergentes()

  • http://yahooIndia Amit Kumar pandey

    Realy He was the Real Hero!!!!!!!!!!! I salute of His Contribution for the world.

  • Faizan sarwar

    We have lost the masterpiece.

  • Brett

    When you really think about it; he’s seen and experienced things that generation after generation will never get a chance to see or experience. Myself, my kids, my grand kids, and their kids; will probably never get the chance to see and feel what he felt. Maybe one day they’ll have regular trips to the moon, but it won’t be for a very long time. And when they finally do, it won’t be as ballsy as flying up there in the tupperware containers they did it in. It used to be that you could compare the computational power of the Apollo spacecraft to a digital watch, but even modern digital watches are more powerful.

    An impressive man achieving impressive goals.

  • bob

    Perhaps it should be added that the inspiring things that need doing now include real science – unmanned missions such as the Mars mission Curiosity – but not manned missions.

  • http://www.brabbu.com/blog Sara Lança

    43 years ago he had 50% chance of surviving, yesterday he died. We pay a much deserved homage to Neil Armstrong http://brabbu.com/blog/2012/08/and-the-next-time-you-look-at-the-moon/

  • http://rohanmedia.co.uk Rohan

    Sean. How can we realistically persuade NASA to send his ashes to the moon?
    Can you help here?

  • Phil

    Rohan,

    Would you like to pay for that? Besides, he was a man who, perhaps, made his greatest contributions back here on Earth. And let’s not forget he has left behind many family members…back here on Earth.

  • Paul

    43 years ago he had 50% chance of surviving, yesterday he died.

    Actually, Armstrong said he had a 50% chance of successfully completing the mission. The chance of dying, he estimated at 10%. The other 40% chance of failure would involve problems where they would not have been able to land on the moon, but would have been able to survive (as happened to Apollo 13).

  • http://deleted Gary

    I never Neil Armstrong. I deeply respect his inclination to privacy as much as his lunar accomplishment.

    I’ve twice met “Buzz” Aldrin. On one occasion, we shared local radio air time.

    I’ve unbounded respect for his ’69 innate computational superiority over the navigational computers on ’11.

    Frankly, Aldrin’s ever since been just an attention whore.

    Never in the same class as Mr. Armstrong.

    Been up close, and seen it. Don’t bother telling me otherwise. You weren’t there.

  • http://miamihotels.in rip neil

    Anyone else going to miss this man? I know I will. He is a true inspiration to many.

NEW ON DISCOVER
OPEN
CITIZEN SCIENCE
ADVERTISEMENT

Discover's Newsletter

Sign up to get the latest science news delivered weekly right to your inbox!

Cosmic Variance

Random samplings from a universe of ideas.

About Sean Carroll

Sean Carroll is a Senior Research Associate in the Department of Physics at the California Institute of Technology. His research interests include theoretical aspects of cosmology, field theory, and gravitation. His most recent book is The Particle at the End of the Universe, about the Large Hadron Collider and the search for the Higgs boson. Here are some of his favorite blog posts, home page, and email: carroll [at] cosmicvariance.com .

ADVERTISEMENT

See More

ADVERTISEMENT
Collapse bottom bar
+

Login to your Account

X
E-mail address:
Password:
Remember me
Forgot your password?
No problem. Click here to have it e-mailed to you.

Not Registered Yet?

Register now for FREE. Registration only takes a few minutes to complete. Register now »