Now that you’ve voted, I know what question you must be asking yourself: where can I go to hear Sean do things like relentlessly flogging his new book, The Particle at the End of the Universe, in stores November 13? Well you’ve certainly come to the right place. Here are some upcoming opportunities in various media.
- Here’s a video I just did with Chris Johnson, who is working on a book entitled “A Better Life: 100 Atheists Speak Out on Joy and Meaning In a World Without God.” Hear me at my arrogant, hubristic best. (I am talking about the difficulties of defining meaning in a purposeless universe but somehow managed to work in the Higgs boson.)
- This weekend both Jennifer and I will be speaking at Skepticon 5, in Springfield, Missouri. Apparently there will be other speakers, as well.
- Local folks, on Monday Nov. 12 I’ll be participating in an event called Uncorked, sponsored by Pasadena music/art organization MUSE/IQUE. The show is headlined by innovative cellist Matt Haimovitz, and his supporting cast includes me and Flea from the Red Hot Chili Peppers. (None of the preceding is a joke.)
- On book release day, Tuesday, I’ll be doing a Reddit AMA (Ask Me Anything). Scheduled to start at 11am Pacific time. Head over there to pester me about all the questions you think I avoid over here.
- Later that day I’ll be on Attack of the Show, which I believe is broadcast live at 4pm Pacific, then webcast Wednesday morning at 10am Pacific.
- That night, for you insomniacs, I’ll be on Coast to Coast AM, starting at 11pm Pacific.
- This could be quite cool: on November 15 at 3pm Pacific, I’ll be doing an online presentation/Q&A on a new platform called Shindig. (See an example here.) I will give an informal talk, then anyone following from online who has a webcam can “get up on stage” with me and ask questions, or different audience members can chat amongst themselves. Could be awesome, or a disaster, we’ll have to see.
- Friday the 16th I’ll be on Science Friday. Presumably a more focused discussion than on Coast to Coast.
- Back here in Pasadena, on Sunday Nov. 18th I’ll be giving a public lecture on the Higgs boson at the Skeptics Society at 2pm Pacific. Apparently this will also involve a live webcast, so tune in.
- On Thursday November 29 I’m scheduled to be on a plucky little cable TV show called the Colbert Report. Due to the vicissitudes of television, these things tend to get un-scheduled and re-scheduled with abandon, but that’s the current plan.
- A day later I’m in Portland, giving a public talk at the First Congregational Church.
- A week after that I’m in Toronto, appearing on a public panel on Dec. 7 talking about the Higgs.
And that’s it for 2012, as far as I currently know. Come January I’ll be in the UK for a bit, which should be fun. The above looks like a long list, but several of them are local and/or electronic, so I have high hopes for continuing to get actual work done over the next couple of months.