It’s April Fool’s Day, and the science world is overflowing with gags. But not all of the forehead-slapping headlines today are jokes. Can you guess which one of the following is true? (Answer at the end of the post.)
1) Google announces an artificial intelligence breakthrough, an autonomous problem-solver that will be the “first functional global-scale neuro-evolutionary learning cluster.”
2) A “finetics” project in England plans to harness the strength of swimming fish to power UK homes: “Environmentalists welcomed the opportunity to not only generate clean energy but ensure rivers are maintained for wildlife.”
3) Bars are now partaking in a program telling pregnant women when to stop drinking.
4) The Concorde will fly one more time, say technicians who have made secret preparations at France’s Museum of Air and Space, which has kept the supersonic plane flight-ready since its retirement in 2003.
5) After identifying “breakfast television” as a significant emerging market, BBC has announced its iPlayer is now available on a toaster.
Image: Flickr / Victoria-Ann