Video is now available from the L’Oreal USA/Discover Magazine Congressional briefing I moderated in September. I’ve posted part 1 of 4 below and you can watch the entire event here.
- Russlynn Ali, Assistant Secretary, Office of Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education
- Dr. Shirley Malcom, Head of Education and Human Resources, American Association for Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- Pr. Joan Steitz, Sterling Professor of Molecular Biophysics and Biochemistry, Yale University
- Pr. Sara Seager, Ellen Swallow Richards, Professor of Planetary Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Sheril Kirshenbaum, Research Associate at University of Texas at Austin’s Center for International Energy and Environmental Policy, Author, and Blogger for Discovermagazine.com (Moderator)
I’m off to So Cal tomorrow for this event at Pomona College:
Although the number of American non-believers has doubled in the last twenty years, and the number of young atheists has quadrupled, atheists remain politically and publically underrepresented. Pomona College, for example, which has one of the least religious student bodies in the country, does not have an atheist organization on campus. The atheist movement is coming together, but despite significant developments it remains fractured. Some atheists seek allies with other minority groups and even liberal religious believers. Other more militant or “evangelical” atheists reject any such alliance and seek the destruction of religion itself. Today’s atheists have moved beyond the question of whether God exists. However, a number of questions are still left unanswered: what is atheist morality? Is atheism political? Should atheists ally with other minority groups, or even religious people? Should atheists organize as a group at all? Is atheism a social movement? How should atheists move forward? Please join the Pomona Student Union for a panel discussion confronting these questions and more.
David Silverman: President of American Atheists, author of the NoGodBlog and host of the Atheist Viewpoint television show
Chris Mooney, writer, author of three books including the New York Times best seller The Republican War on Science and the new book Unscientific America: How Scientific Illiteracy Threatens our Future, co-author of the blog “The Intersection,” and contributing editor to Science Progress
Hemant Mehta, author of I Sold My Soul on eBay and the Friendly Atheist blog, and member of the Board of Directors of the Secular Student Alliance
We’re going to try to record this for Point of Inquiry….