This is a brief guest post by Jamie Vernon.
In a stunning exchange with a young boy, a video posted by ABC News reveals Republican Presidential candidate Rick Perry confirming what many scientists and science educators have suspected for years. According to the Governor, “In Texas, we teach both creationism and evolution.”
So, there it is. Texas encourages teaching of creationism in public schools.
Perry has consistently appointed creationist leaders to the Texas Board of Education over the years. Each of them has denied their intent to allow teaching of creationism in science classrooms in Texas schools. At the same time, the Texas Board of Education has made repeated attempts to weaken science standards to make way for anti-evolution curricula.
I think we’ll be hearing from the Governor on this matter. The backtracking will be a sight to see.
Links to this Post
- Ask About Evolution at the GOP Debate | FrumForum | August 18, 2011
- Huntsman’s Campaign Calls Out Perry on Science Denial | The Intersection | Discover Magazine | August 18, 2011
- Did Rick Perry just admit to violating the US Constitution? | Space Travels - Space Turism | August 18, 2011
- Santorum wants God in school to Repair Economy. Because that’s what failed the economy. « The Relative Comment | August 19, 2011
- Did Rick Perry Turn Texas Public Schools Into Creationism Indoctrination Centers? « The Fifth Column | August 20, 2011
- Texas is Writing a New History for Public Education « Texas Public Education | August 21, 2011
- Did Rick Perry just admit to violating the US Constitution? | Bad Astronomy | Discover Magazine | August 22, 2011