It was three years ago to the day that I wondered out loud whether scientists wore tattoos of their science. The result was a resounding yes, and that yes turned into the Science Tattoo Emporium. And today, I’m pleased to announce, the emporium is going to turn into a book.
The book, tentatively entitled Science Ink, will be published next year by Sterling. The images will be accompanied by some of my own reflections on the tattoos, in which I will unpack the inside jokes and strange histories of the science behind the pictures.
The ultimate purpose of the book, like the Emporium, will be to illustrate the passion that science can inspire. To that end, I also plan to donate a portion of the proceeds from the book to DonorsChoose, a great organization that funds science projects in the classroom.
If you have a tattoo that you’d like me to consider for inclusion for the book, please get in touch. I’ll send you the paperwork and instructions for submission of a book-ready image. I will also be getting directly in touch with people whose tattoos I have already posted here and which I’d like to include in Science Ink. We will need the image and the paperwork back by
October 1, 2010. October 15, 2010.
(P.S.: And for those of you who hate tattoos, no matter how scientifically inspired, stay tuned. I’ll have news of a tattoo-free book in the not-too-distant future.)
Links to this Post
- Science Tattoo Emporium–The Book! « StLeoScience | August 6, 2010
- Scenes From the Future: Send Tweets From A Tattoo | Science Not Fiction | Discover Magazine | August 13, 2010
- YourTechWorld » Scenes From the Future: Send Tweets From A Tattoo | Science Not Fiction | August 15, 2010
- Science Ink: I want your skin! [Science Tattoo] | The Loom | Discover Magazine | September 13, 2010
- In Praise of Mistakes [Science tattoo] | The Loom | Discover Magazine | September 18, 2010
- The Vaccine Tree (Plus An Extended Deadline For The Science Ink Book) [Science Tattoo] | The Loom | Discover Magazine | September 30, 2010